It’s almost summer and you know what that means: grilling season is upon us. To help ensure that you have your best grilling season ever, today I talk to Matt Moore, AoM’s resident food writer and the author of Serial Griller: Grillmaster Secrets for Flame-Cooked Perfection. We begin our conversation discussing Matt’s trips around the country to glean the best stories and tips from our nation’s foremost grillmasters. We first unpack why the Maillard reaction is so important to creating delicious browned food, and how to ensure you get that effect when you grill. From there we dive into more of the secrets of better grilling, including the pros and cons of different types of fuels and grill types and the essential tools to have on hand when making flame-cooked grub. Matt then offers his surprising take on the best way to grill a burger and explains how to grill the perfect steak, cook chicken so it doesn’t dry out, and fire up fish without it falling apart. We end our discussion with Matt’s grilled, mouth-watering alternative to a traditional peach cobbler.
You’ll be ready to fire up the grill after listening to this show.
If reading this in an email, click the title of the post to listen to the show.
- The universal appeal of grilling
- The science of grilling — why does it taste so good?
- Should you bring meat up to room temp?
- The lowdown on heat sources — wood, charcoal, gas, and electric
- Tips for getting a woody, smoky flavor with a gas grill
- Different types of grills and who should use each
- The beauty of the two-zone fire
- Grilling tools everyone should have on hand
- The best way to grill a burger
- Perfectly grilling a steak
- Why is chicken hard to grill?
- Non-traditional foods for grilling
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- The Science, Techniques, and Recipes to Elevate Your Grilling
- AoM’s grilling archives
- The Best Way to Salt Meat
- Lodge Sportsman’s Grill
- Golden’s Cast Iron Grill
- Hasty-Bake Grill
- The 3-Zone Grilling Fire
- How to Light a Charcoal Grill
- Digital Meat Thermometer
- The Perfect Prime Rib Roast
- How to Make Ernest Hemingway’s Favorite Burger
- The Reverse Sear: The Best Cooking Method for Steak
- The Maillard Reaction
- How to Grill Vegetables
Connect With Matt
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Listen ad-free on Stitcher Premium; get a free month when you use code “manliness” at checkout.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #612: Grillmaster Secrets for Flame-Cooked Perfection appeared first on The Art of Manliness.