Good character is hard to define in the abstract, but easy to identify when it’s embodied in the lives of great individuals. In order to illuminate what worthy character looks like, my guest today has written a book which consists of profiles of 10 of history’s most notable admirals, marking out both their inspiring and flawed qualities, as well as how these qualities intersected with their ability to lead. His name is Admiral James Stavridis, he served as the commander of US Southern Command, US European Command, and NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe, and is now the dean of the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. On today’s show, the admiral talks about many of the figures in his latest book, Sailing True North: Ten Admirals and the Voyage of Character, including
- The difference between leadership and character (and why they’re often erroneously used interchangeably)
- The complex reality of human nature, and how we can learn even from failures of character and leadership
- Who was Themistocles? What can we learn from him?
- What about ancient Chinese commander Zheng He?
- Sir Francis Drake’s decisiveness
- Why Horatio Nelson was perhaps the greatest admiral of all time
- What we can learn from the academic Alfred Thayer Mahan
- Why was Chester Nimitz the “admiral’s admiral”?
- Grace Hopper and the power of intellectual curiosity
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- My first interview with Admiral Stavridis
- Pol Pot
- 43 Books About War Every Man Should Read
- 36 Books Every Young and Ambitious Man Should Read
- Zheng He
- Sir Francis Drake
- Horatio Nelson
- How Leaders Build Great Teams
- Should a Man Be Inspired By History?
- AoM series on resiliency
- The Influence of Sea Power on History
- Admiral Grace Hopper
- How to Be a Creative Genius Like da Vinci
Connect With Admiral James Stavridis
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Listen ad-free on Stitcher Premium; get a free month when you use code “manliness” at checkout.
Lightbox Jewelry. Lab-grown diamonds are essentially chemically identical to natural ones, just made in a lab. At Lightbox, they’ve cracked the science to grow gorgeous stones, every time. Check them out at lightboxjewelry.com/MANLINESS use code MANLINESS for $25 off.
Read the Transcript