If you struggle to lose weight, you may blame an inherently slow metabolism. But is your metabolism really to blame, and can you increase it in order to burn more fat?
Today we tackle these questions and more with Dr. John Berardi, who earned a PhD in exercise physiology and nutrient biochemistry, and is a writer, athlete, coach, and professor, as well as the co-founder of Precision Nutrition and the founder of the Change Maker Academy. John and I begin our discussion with what metabolism is, the components that make it up, how much each element contributes to your body’s energy expenditures, and which can be controlled. We then get into whether or not it’s true that some people have an inherently slow or fast metabolism, and how diet and exercise influences your metabolism, including whether or not dieting itself can slow your metabolism down, and why you might want to consider wearing a weight vest around once you lose body fat. We then discuss how intermittent fasting can increase your metabolic flexibility, whether there are certain foods that boost your metabolic rate, and the best exercise routine for optimizing your metabolism. We also also talk about how stress and sleep effect your metabolic health. We end our conversation with John’s best tips for maintaining optimal metabolic health and losing weight in general.
- What is metabolism?
- What’s the most “expensive” energy expenditure of our day?
- What is NEAT? What role does it play with your metabolism?
- How much of your energy is spent on exercise and physical activity?
- What does science say about “fast” and “slow” metabolism?
- How can an efficient metabolism cause weight gain?
- How meal-skipping affects people differently
- Diet, weight loss, and metabolism
- How easy it is to accumulate extra calories (and how not to obliterate your dieting)
- How to nail your exercise to optimize your metabolism
- Does increased muscle mass help your metabolism in a noticeable way?
- The role of stress in your metabolism
- Why a sleep deficit torpedos your health in all aspects
- Does metabolism really slow with age? Or are other lifestyle factors at play?
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- Podcast #328: The Pros and Cons of Intermittent Fasting
- Podcast #538: Research-Backed Answers to All Your Fitness FAQs
- John’s AoM article about intermittent fasting
- How to Lose Weight, and Keep It Off Forever
- Everything You Need to Know About Diet and Fat Loss
- Eat Man Food and Lose Weight
- The Real Science of Nutrition and Supplements
- How to Finally Nail Your Pre- and Post-Workout Nutrition
- How an Olympic Marathoner Trains, Eats, Recovers, and Stays Mentally Strong
- How to Stress Proof Your Body and Brain
- Why Zebras Don’t Get Ulcers by Robert Sapolsky
- How to Manage Stress
- What to Do When You Can’t Sleep
- 22 Ways to Get a Better Night’s Sleep
- How to Fall Asleep in Two Minutes or Less
- Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert
- Parasympathetic nervous system
Connect With John
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Recorded on ClearCast.io
Listen ad-free on Stitcher Premium; get a free month when you use code “manliness” at checkout.
Bayer creates medicine to treat allergy symptoms, so allergies don’t get in the way of a good time. At Bayer, this is why we science
Harry’s. A great shave doesn’t come from gimmicks. Harry’s use simple, affordable hardware that simply provides a great shave. Get a free trial set that includes handle, blades, and shave gel at harrys.com/manliness.
Read the Transcript