Lou Ferrante was a mobster who worked for the Gambino crime family and made a trade out of hijacking trucks loaded with expensive goods. Eventually, the law caught up with him and he ended up in prison. There, he discovered a love for reading and writing which set off a personal transformation that led to him leaving the mafia. After his stint in jail, Lou went on to become an author and the host of a Discovery Channel documentary series called Inside the Gangsters’ Code.
Today on the show, I first talk to Lou about his early life of crime and the autodidactic education he gave himself in prison. Lou shares the books that had the biggest impact on him, including works of history, philosophy, and fiction. We then shift gears to discuss Lou’s work on Inside the Gangsters’ Code, the idea of honor that the mafia and other gangs share, and what it means to practice omertà. We end our conversation discussing why young men join gangs and the human needs they fill.
- How Lou got involved in the mafia in the first place
- How he got caught jacking trucks and ended up in prison
- The experience in prison that made Lou turn his life around
- How reading and self-education transformed Lou’s life
- The classic authors and books that Lou gravitated to
- How Lou improved his vocabulary and taught himself to write
- What was Lou’s plan for after he got out of prison?
- What sorts of gangs did he visit and interact with on Inside the Gangsters’ Code?
- Is the gangsters’ code similar across the world?
- What is omertà?
- Why do young men join gangs? What need are they filling?
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- Inside the Gangster’s Code show
- Peter Gotti
- The Importance of Building Your Vocabulary
- Why Men Should Read More Fiction
- 100 Books Every Man Should Read
- Why Every Man Should Study Classical Culture
- Why Every Man Should Read Jane Austen
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
- Ferrante’s Mob Rules
- Colombo crime family
- AoM series on honor
Connect With Lou
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Recorded on ClearCast.io
Listen ad-free on Stitcher Premium; get a free month when you use code “manliness” at checkout.
Zoro.com. Whether you need stuff for industries like electrical, plumbing, contracting, manufacturing or more —Zoro’s got it, from brands you know and trust! Go to zoro.com/manliness to sign up for Z-mail and get 15% off your first order.
The Great Courses Plus. Better yourself this year by learning new things. I’m doing that by watching and listening to The Great Courses Plus. Get a free trial by visiting thegreatcoursesplus.com/manliness.
Read the Transcript