- What’s going on in our brain when we navigate?
- The connection between memory and navigation
- Lessons from the inuits on navigating
- The two strategies your brain uses to navigate
- How does navigation possibly explain childhood amnesia?
- Why kids should be able and allowed to freely explore their environment
- How animals navigate vs. how humans navigate (and what we can learn from them)
- Storytelling and navigation
- The relationship between language and navigation
- The existential threat of GPS
- What the implications of using our brain less in navigating?
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- 7 Reasons You Should Still Keep a Paper Map in Your Glovebox
- How to Read a Topo Map
- AoM’s Land Navigation Manual
- John O’Keefe
- Episodic memory
- Exploring Life’s Trails
- Arctic terns
- The Songlines by Bruce Chatwin
- A Primer on Mental Mapping
- How to Quickly Memorize a Deck of Cards
- Movies Every Millennial Dad Should Introduce to His Kids
- The Lost Art of Finding Our Way by John Huth
- How to Track Animals
- How to Escape and Evade a Tracker
- If You Can Always Be Found, Can You Ever Get Lost?
- Michael drives into a lake (from The Office)
Connect With Maura
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Recorded on ClearCast.io
Listen ad-free on Stitcher Premium; get a free month when you use code “manliness” at checkout.
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Next time you plan on drinking, make sure you plan ahead. Designate a sober driver or use a ride service to get home safely
The Strenuous Life. A platform designed to take your intentions and turn them into reality. There are 50 merit badges to earn, weekly challenges, and daily check-ins that provide accountability in your becoming a man of action. The next enrollment is coming up in the September. Sign up at strenuouslife.co.
Saxx Underwear. Everything you didn’t know you needed in a pair of swim shorts. Visit saxxunderwear.com and get $5 off plus FREE shipping on your first purchase when you use the code “AOM” at checkout.
Read the Transcript