You’ve probably experienced a few aha moments in your life. Moments where an idea for a new business or piece of art, or a solution to a sticky technical, relational, or philosophical problem, suddenly popped into your mind.
What causes these proverbial light bulbs to go off over our heads? What’s going on in your brain when you experience an insight? And can you do anything to encourage more “aha” moments?
My guest has spent his career researching the answers to these questions. His name is John Kounios, and he’s a professor of psychology and the author of the book The Eureka Factor: Aha Moments, Creative Insight, and the Brain. We begin our conversation discussing how researchers define what an insight is, and examples of how scientists and musicians have experienced them. John then walks us through the stages that lead up to getting an insight and explains what is going on in our brains right before and at the moment we experience one. We end our conversation discussing ways you can increase your chances of receiving insights, including the kind of environment and even color that encourages them most.
- What really is an insight or “aha” moment?
- Why you can’t “will” yourself to an insightful moment
- The stages that lead to insight
- Why showers lead to so many great ideas
- How the slinky can teach us about insights
- What’s going on in the brain when people have an “aha” experience?
- Where do insights come from? Were they always there?
- How to nudge yourself towards more insights
- Why your mood matters
- Is there a time of day most conducive to creative ideas?
- Can alcohol help you have insights?
- Which color can you surround yourself with to encourage “aha” moments?
- Why does sleep lead to such great insights?
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- The Science of Insights
- Nap Like Salvador Dali and Get More Creative Insights
- How to Be a Creative Genius Like da Vinci
- The History of the Slinky
- How to Achieve Creative Success
- How to Stress Proof Your Body and Brain
- How to Deal With Anxiety
- Mastering Mindset to Improve Happiness, Health, and Longevity
- Mann Gulch fire
- The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing
- 22 Ways to Get a Better Night’s Sleep
Connect With John
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Recorded on ClearCast.io
Listen ad-free on Stitcher Premium; get a free month when you use code “manliness” at checkout.
The Strenuous Life. A platform designed to take your intentions and turn them into reality. There are 50 merit badges to earn, weekly challenges, and daily check-ins that provide accountability in your becoming a man of action. The next enrollment is coming up in the fall. Sign up at strenuouslife.co.
Fruit of the Loom. Fruit of the Loom CoolZone Fly Boxer Briefs are designed with a ventilated mesh fly that allows airflow where you need it most. Go to fruit.com and use code “manliness” to save an additional 10%.
Read the Transcript