Teddy Atlas was born to a well-respected doctor in a wealthy part of Staten Island. Most kids like him end up going to an Ivy League school to become some sort of white collar professional. Teddy? Teddy dropped out of high school, went to jail, and ended up becoming a trainer to 18 world champion boxers, including heavyweight champion Michael Moore, who defeated Evander Holyfield for the title in 1994.
Today on the show I talk to Teddy about how and why he took the path he did in life. Teddy explains how he ended up boxing under legendary trainer Cus D’Amato, and how Cus guided Teddy towards becoming a trainer himself. Teddy then shares stories of training kids in the Catskills, taking them to unsanctioned amateur fights in the Bronx, and the lessons he learned from boxing and his father about personal responsibility, managing fear, overcoming resistance, and what is means to be a man.
- Teddy’s early relationship with his father
- How Teddy ended up on the streets as a dropout
- How Teddy found boxing
- The brilliance of Cus D’Amato
- The “smokers” of the tough streets of NYC
- The importance of a father figure to a troubled young man
- What is a champion?
- Why every man needs to meet resistance
- Why it’s harder to quit than it is to fight
- How Teddy learned to be a man
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- Teddy’s book, Atlas
- On Taking a Punch
- Cus D’Amato
- Kevin Rooney
- The 14 Best Boxing Movies
- A Manly History of the Sweet Science
- Rocky Marciano’s Fight for Perfection In a Crooked World
- A Man’s Search for Meaning Inside the Ring
- AoM’s Boxing for Beginners series
- AoM’s Boxing Basics
- The Power of Mentoring
- The Rise and Fall of the American Heavyweight Boxer
Connect With Teddy
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Recorded on ClearCast.io
Listen ad-free on Stitcher Premium; get a free month when you use code “manliness” at checkout.
MSX by Michael Strahan. Athletic-inspired, functional pieces designed for guys who are always on the go — available exclusively at JCPenney! Visit JCP.com for more information. Also check out his lifestyle content at MichaelStrahan.com.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #524: Boxing Trainer Teddy Atlas on What It Means to Be a Man appeared first on The Art of Manliness.