When you think about wit, what comes to mind? Someone who’s quick with a funny remark?
My guest today says that while humor is one part of wit, it’s really better thought of in a broader way, as a kind of “improvisational intelligence.” His name is James Geary, and he’s the author of Wit’s End: What Wit Is, How It Works, and Why We Need It. Today on the show, we discuss all things witty. We begin our conversation describing the nature of wit, and how it’s linked to one’s all-around sense of resourcefulness. James then makes the case that instead of getting our contempt, puns should actually be praised as a sophisticated form of wit. We then dig into what fencing and jazz can teach us about the role of improvisation in wit, why we need wit more than ever these days, and what you can do to start being a bit more witty.
- What is wit? What makes something witty?
- The relationship between wit and humor
- The wit of Odysseus
- Why puns are underrated
- What fencing can teach us about wit
- The wittiness of insults (and verbal “combat” in different cultures)
- The neuroscience of wit
- What’s the state of wit today?
- Cultivating a witty mindset
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- 20 Aphorisms I Thought Were Dumb as a Boy, But Now Appreciate
- The Maxims of Francois de La Rochefoucauld
- 21 Epigrams Every Man Should Live By
- Buster Keaton
- The Humor Code
- MacGyver Manhood and the Art of Improvisation
- The Dozens
- Why Insults Sting and How to Handle Them
- 50 Old-Fashioned Insults
- Stanislaw Lec
Connect With James
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Recorded on ClearCast.io
Listen ad-free on Stitcher Premium; get a free month when you use code “manliness” at checkout.
Fruit of the Loom. Fruit of the Loom CoolZone Fly Boxer Briefs are designed with a ventilated mesh fly that allows airflow where you need it most. Go to fruit.com and use code “manliness” to save an additional 10%.
Harry’s. A great shave doesn’t come from gimmicks. Harry’s use simple, affordable hardware that simply provides a great shave. Get a free trial set that includes handle, blades, and shave gel at harrys.com/manliness.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #522: What Is Wit and Why Does the World Need It? appeared first on The Art of Manliness.