What does it mean to live a good life? How can we achieve that good life?
These are questions a Greek philosopher explored over 2,000 years ago in his Nicomachean Ethics. My guest today argues that the insights Aristotle uncovered millennia ago are still pertinent to us in the 21st century. Her name is Edith Hall, and she’s a classicist and the author of Aristotle’s Way: How Ancient Wisdom Can Change Your Life. Today on the show we discuss what Aristotle thought the good life was and how it’s different from our modern conception of happiness. We then dig into how Aristotle believed the cultivation of virtue was a key part of living a flourishing life and why understanding your unique potential and purpose is also important. Edith then shares insights from Aristotle on how to handle misfortune and become a better decision maker, as well as the importance of relationships to human happiness.
- The relationship, and differences, between Aristotle and Plato
- What was Aristotle trying to do with Ethics?
- How did Aristotle define happiness?
- What is our purpose in life? How do you find it?
- The human qualities that every person should pursue
- How did Aristotle define virtue?
- The times where supposed evils — like lying and even murder — are acceptable to Aristotle
- The role of deliberation in life
- Aristotle’s process of decision making
- Using practical wisdom
- The most important aspect of human life
- How to choose friends and spouses
- The role of fate, according to Aristotle’s philosophy
- Aristotle’s view of death
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- What Plato’s Republic Has to Say About Being a Man
- Hiking With Nietzsche
- Does Stoicism Extinguish the Fire of Life?
- A Primer of Plato: His Life, Works, and Philosophy
- Latin Words and Phrases Every Man Should Know
- On Grand Strategy
- Nicomachean Ethics
- Books So Good I’ve Read Them Twice
- Why Are Modern Debates on Morality So Shrill?
- How to Find Your Life’s Purpose
- Finding Fulfillment in a World Obsessed With Happiness
- Immanuel Kant
- How to Get Better at Making Life-Changing Decisions
- Using Mental Models to Make Better Decisions
- Why You Need a Philosophical Survival Kit
- Reviving Practical Wisdom
- Practical Wisdom: The Master Virtue
- Let’s Talk About Death Over Dinner
Connect With Edith
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Recorded on ClearCast.io
Listen ad-free on Stitcher Premium; get a free month when you use code “manliness” at checkout.
Navy Federal Credit Union. Proud to serve over 8 million members, and open to active duty military, DoD, veterans, and their families. Visit NavyFederal.org/manliness for more information, or call 888-842-6328.
MSX by Michael Strahan. Athletic-inspired, functional pieces designed for guys who are always on the go — available exclusively at JCPenney! Visit JCP.com for more information. Also check out his lifestyle content at MichaelStrahan.com.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #515: Aristotle’s Wisdom on Living the Good Life appeared first on The Art of Manliness.