The human body is capable of doing a wide variety of movements, in a variety of environments. But my guest today argues that most modern people only do a few movements each day, commonly find themselves stuck in sterile surroundings, and that these confinements are sapping our physical and psychological health.
His name is Erwan Le Corre and he’s the founder of the MovNat physical fitness system and the author of the book The Practice of Natural Movement: Reclaim Power, Health, and Freedom. Today on the show Erwan explains what natural movement is, and our amazing human potential for walking, running, balancing, jumping, crawling, climbing, swimming, lifting, carrying, throwing, catching, and self-defense. We then discuss the cultural forces that have disconnected us and our children from our ability to perform these natural movements, and have turned us into “zoo humans.” Erwan and I then dig into the benefits of engaging with natural movements, from improved mental and physical health to a greater sense of freedom. We end our conversation with Erwan’s actionable advice on how you can easily incorporate more natural movement into your daily life.
- What is “natural movement”? How does it fit in with MovNat?
- The “zoo human” predicament
- Movement poverty, and how it’s come about
- Why you should work on these movements, even if you don’t “need” them
- The psychological problems that come with movement poverty
- What are the cultural forces that have prevented people from developing natural movements?
- The physical and aesthetic benefits of natural movement exercises
- Specialization vs. general fitness
- Overcoming the “weirdo” factor of practicing natural movements
- How our over-parenting culture is hurting kids’ physical development
- What you can do today to start incorporating natural movement into your life
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- My first interview with Erwan about MovNat
- The History of Physical Fitness
- Get Fit Like a Wild Man: A Primer on MovNat
- 10 Physical Skills Every Man Should Master
- The Zoo Human by Desmond Morris
- AoM series on male depression
- You Are Not a Zoo Animal: How to Reclaim Your Primal Health
- A Review of the MovNat Workshop
- Take the Simple Test That Can Predict Your Mortality
- Which Fitness Program is Right For You?
- To Succeed in Work and Life, Be Mr. T
- Ernest Hemingway as a Case Study in Living the T-Shaped Life
- When High School PE Was a Man-Maker
- The Importance of Roughhousing
- Get Strong by Greasing the Groove
Connect With Erwan and MovNat
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Recorded on ClearCast.io
Brilliant Earth is the global leader in ethically sourced fine jewelry, and THE destination for creating your own custom engagement ring. Get free shipping and shop all of Brilliant Earth’s selections by going to BrilliantEarth.com/manliness.
The Great Courses Plus. Better yourself this year by learning new things. I’m doing that by watching and listening to The Great Courses Plus. Get a free trial by visiting thegreatcoursesplus.com/manliness.
The Strenuous Life. A platform designed to take your intentions and turn them into reality. There are 50 merit badges to earn, weekly challenges, and daily check-ins that provide accountability in your becoming a man of action. The next enrollment is in June. Sign up at strenuouslife.co.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #508: Break Out of Your Cage and Stop Being a Human Zoo Animal appeared first on The Art of Manliness.