We live in a world where it’s possible to work ourselves 24/7. Even when you’re away from the office, work still follows you on your smartphone. Being constantly connected can make us feel like we’re getting a lot done, but my guest today makes the case that we’d all be better off if we practiced the ancient tradition of the Sabbath. His name Aaron Edelheit and he’s the author of the book The Hard Break: The Case for a 24/6 Lifestyle.
We begin our show discussing the burnout Aaron experienced as an entrepreneur working non-stop, how he rediscovered the Jewish tradition of the Sabbath, and how it changed his life and even helped him sell his business for over 200 million dollars. Along the way, we explore America’s workaholism and how it’s making us miserable and less productive, and costing businesses money. Aaron then digs into how you can start implementing a Sabbath practice regardless of your beliefs, and the benefits that accrue to your life, your health, your creativity, and even your bottom line when you take a weekly reset.
- How Aaron realized he was working too much
- Why Americans feel like they’re working more than ever
- The physical consequences of being constantly connected
- The myth of “rise and grind”; why success isn’t worth martyrdom
- Why the Sabbath is more important today than it’s ever been
- What the Jewish Sabbath looks like
- Case studies of how big-time entrepreneurs and companies have used tech breaks to improve their businesses
- The signaling of busyness
- What really matters in life
- How to set-up a weekly sabbath for yourself
- Tips for getting the most out of your Sabbath
- Why so many Silicon Valley titans are surfers
- How a vacation sparked the idea for the Hamilton Broadway play
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- How and Why to Take a Tech Sabbath
- 4 Lessons From a 4-Week Social Media Fast
- In Praise of Wasting Time
- The Complete Guide to Breaking Your Smartphone Habit
- 5 Concrete Ways to Develop a Healthier Relationship With Your Phone
- Elevate Your Game and Avoid Burnout
- The Joy of Missing Out
- The Meaning, Manifestations, and Treatments for Anxiety
- Are Modern People the Most Exhausted in History?
- Dustin Moskovitz
- Default mode network
- Brad Feld and his article “The Power of a Digital Sabbath”
- How to Make Time for What Really Matters Every Day
- The Dangers of Distracted Parenting
- Love Is All You Need
- Becoming a Digital Minimalist
Connect With Aaron
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Recorded on ClearCast.io
Brilliant Earth is the global leader in ethically sourced fine jewelry, and THE destination for creating your own custom engagement ring. From now until May 5th get a complimentary pair of diamond studs with the purchase of an engagement ring. Learn more at BrilliantEarth.com/manliness.
Indochino. Every man needs at least one great suit in their closet. Indochino offers custom, made-to-measure suits for department store prices. Use code “manliness” at checkout to get a premium suit for just $379. Plus, shipping is free.
Read the Transcript