The health benefits of fasting from food have gotten a lot of attention in the last several years. What’s often forgotten in these discussions, however, is that fasting has been practiced for thousands of years not only for the sake of the body, but for the spirit as well.
- The health benefits of fasting
- What is it about not eating that makes it a spiritual discipline?
- The disconnect between the two kinds of fasting literature Father Ryan encountered when he first started studying the topic
- What are the spiritual benefits of fasting?
- Various fasting practices amongst world religions
- Other practices that often go along with fasting
- The social dimensions of fasting (especially in Islam)
- Jesus and fasting, and how it came to be a spiritual discipline in Christianity
- How freedom and liberation can be found in discipline
- The holistic nature of fasting
- How the non-religious can use fasting as a spirit-enhancing practice
- Getting started with fasting as a spiritual discipline
- Alternative forms of fasting
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- The Spiritual Discipline of Fasting
- AoM series on spiritual disciplines
- The Pros and Cons of Intermittent Fasting
- What Every Man Should Know About Sleep
- Training the Soul
- Don’t Take Marching Orders From Your Belly
- Fasting in Judaism
- A Buddhist Perspective on Fasting
- How Jesuit Spirituality Can Improve Your Life
- 4 Lessons From a 4-Week Social Media Fast
- Father Tom Ryan’s website
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Recorded on ClearCast.io
Navy Federal Credit Union. Proud to serve over 8 million members, and open to active duty military, DoD, veterans, and their families. Visit NavyFederal.org/manliness for more information, or call 888-842-6328.
Capterra. The leading free online resource for finding small business software. With over 700 specific categories of software, you’re guaranteed to find what’s right for your business. Go to capterra.com/manly to try it out for free.
Read the Transcript