In the past few years, sports recovery has become a big business. Elite athletes and weekend warriors alike are spending lots of time and money on things like cryotherapy, float tanks, foam rolling, and supplements in order to feel better, push themselves harder, and gain an edge over the competition. But does any of this stuff actually do anything?
- Defining “recovery” from an athletics/exercise perspective
- How the emphasis on recovery has changed in the last few decades
- Why the science of recovery is hard to study
- How Gatorade came to be (and does it really do anything?)
- The truth on hydration
- What does the research say on the benefits of cold therapy?
- What about heat exposure?
- The role of stress on recovery
- Do float tanks really work?
- Why ritualizing your recovery — even if not necessarily backed by science — has benefits
- The risks of over-training
- The bottom line on all these recovery modalities
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- Get Stronger by Improving Your Post-Workout Recovery
- A Beginner’s Guide to Trigger Point Release (aka Foam Rolling)
- How Your Climate-Controlled Comfort is Killing You
- How to Nail Your Pre- and Post-Workout Nutrition
- The James Bond Shower: A Shot of Cold Water for Health and Vitality
- How Bad Do You Want It?
- A History of Exhaustion
- The Patriots’ Use of Float Tanks Leading to the Super Bowl
- Nap Like Salvador Dali
- Unleash the Power of the Nap
- What Every Man Should Know About Sleep
- 22 Ways to Get a Better Night’s Sleep
Connect With Christie
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Recorded on ClearCast.io
Topo Athletic. Shoes that are actually shaped like your feet, and made for any activity you can dream up. Comes with a risk-free 30-day guarantee. Get 10% off your first pair by going to topoathletic.com/manliness and using the code “manliness” at checkout.
Ten Thousand Short. Your new workout shorts. From cross-training, to running, to weightlifting, these shorts can do anything. Four-way stretch means you’ll be comfortable, no matter what you’re doing. Save 20% by visiting tenthousand.cc and using promo code AOM.
Indochino. Every man needs at least one great suit in their closet. Indochino offers custom, made-to-measure suits for department store prices. Use code “manliness” at checkout to get a premium suit for just $359. Plus, shipping is free.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #483: What Really Works for Exercise Recovery? appeared first on The Art of Manliness.