Having a positive mindset comes with an unbelievable number of benefits, from better physical and mental health, to improved relationships and performance at work. If you’ve got a more negative bent, you’re really missing out on a lot.
Fortunately, my guest says it’s possible to shift into a more positive gear. Her name is Dr. Catherine Sanderson and she’s a professor of psychology at Amherst College. In her latest book, The Positive Shift, she highlights scores of studies that show how a positive mindset can make us healthier and happier, and how that mindset can be achieved. Today she shares those insights with us, beginning with debunking the idea that a positive outlook means being naively Pollyanna-ish in disposition. Catherine then walks us through what the research says about the surprisingly robust benefits of having a positive perspective which affect every area of your life. We then discuss specific tactics you can use to develop a more positive outlook, even if you have an inborn inclination towards being negative.
- What does positivity actually look like? Is it a happy-go-lucky all the time?
- The physiological health benefits of positivity
- How our outlook impacts our relationships — both platonic and romantic
- How much of our general outlook and happiness is determined by genetics?
- So how can start truly shifting our mindset?
- How to reframe negative situations to make them beneficial
- Why being positive makes aging a much more enjoyable process
- What do you do if you find yourself in a negativity vortex that you can’t get out of?
- The influence of social media on our positivity/negativity
- Overriding our tendencies to negativity
- How do we manage our desire to compare ourselves to other people?
- The way your spending habits can change your outlook
- The importance of good relationships to your outlook in life
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- How Reframing Builds Resilience
- The Importance of Developing a Growth Mindset
- Why Negativity is a Social Killer
- A Guide to Managing Your Depression
- Hardwiring for Happiness
- The Real Virtue of Thankfulness
- How Stress Can Be Good for You
- How to Manage Stress
- Why Zebras Don’t Get Ulcers
- Quit Catastrophizing
- Action Over Feelings
- How to Deal With Anxiety
- Fighting FOMO: 4 Questions to Kill the Fear of Missing Out
- Love Is All You Need
- How to Cut Toxic People From Your Life
Connect With Catherine
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Recorded on ClearCast.io
Brilliant Earth is the global leader in ethically sourced fine jewelry, and THE destination for creating your own custom engagement ring. For a limited time, you’ll receive a complimentary pair of diamond stud earrings with the purchase an engagement ring. To see terms for this special offer and to shop all of Brilliant Earth’s selections, just go to BrilliantEarth.com/manliness.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #478: Mastering Mindset to Improve Happiness, Health, and Longevity appeared first on The Art of Manliness.