When people talk about military special forces, the Navy SEALs are often the first to come to mind. But there are several special forces in the military that have a storied history and play a fundamental role in America’s military defense. My guest today is the only person to have been allowed to audit and write about the training programs of the respective special forces units of every branch of the military.
His name is Dick Couch. He’s a retired US Navy SEAL and the author of several books on America’s special operations forces. Today on the show, we particularly discuss his book Sua Sponte: The Forging of a Modern American Ranger.
We begin our conversation discussing the history and varied purposes of the military’s different special operations forces. Dick then explains how a soldier becomes an Army Ranger and why going to Ranger School isn’t the thing that makes you a Ranger. He walks us through the process of becoming a Ranger, including Ranger Assessment and Selection. We end our conversation discussing the role special operations forces will play in the future of America’s military.
- Why is it important for civilians to understand how special operations units work?
- The misconceptions people have about our military’s special forces
- How the special forces differ from each other
- Dick’s opinion on who the most important special operating unit is
- How did these special forces come to be?
- How has 9/11 changed how these forces are utilized?
- Why Army Rangers aren’t as well known as SEALs
- What sorts of people are drawn to special forces?
- Do special forces soldiers require “soft” skills too?
- What does the future hold for America’s special forces?
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- What It Takes to Become a Navy SEAL
- The Navy SEAL Creed
- The Way of the SEAL
- Extreme Ownership
- WWII Watermanship Week
- How Leaders Build Great Teams
- The Power of Team Captains
- Ranger School
- 75th Ranger Regiment
- Battle of Mogadishu
- Make Your Bed, Change the World
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Recorded on ClearCast.io
Brilliant Earth is the global leader in ethically sourced fine jewelry, and THE destination for creating your own custom engagement ring. From now until February 3, you’ll receive a complimentary diamond stud earrings with the purchase an engagement ring. To see terms for this special offer and to shop all of Brilliant Earth’s selections, just go to BrilliantEarth.com/manliness.
Ten Thousand Short. Your new workout shorts. From cross-training, to running, to weightlifting, these shorts can do anything. Four-way stretch means you’ll be uncomfortable, no matter what you’re doing. Save 20% by visiting tenthousand.cc and using promo code AOM.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #477: The History and Future of America’s Special Forces appeared first on The Art of Manliness.