If you’re like a lot of men listening to this podcast, you’ve likely made it a goal to lose some weight this year. But if you’re also like a lot of men listening to this podcast, you’ve made that goal before, maybe even succeeded with it, but have had to make it again because you gained all the weight back. My guest today argues that losing weight is actually pretty easy. The real trick is keeping it off.
His name is Layne Norton. He’s a professional bodybuilder, powerlifter, and doctor of nutritional science, and today on the show we discuss all things fat loss. We begin our conversation discussing why losing weight is easier than keeping it off, the mechanisms that kick into gear once we shed body fat that cause us to gain all of it, and even more back, and why yo-yo dieting is so terrible for you.
We then dig into whether there’s one diet that’s the most effective in helping you lose fat, the tactics you need to use to keep the weight off in the long run, and the real reason exercise plays a role in helping you do so, which isn’t what you think.
- Separating “bro” science from actual research
- Why is it so hard to keep weight off after you lose it?
- What makes processed foods different from natural foods
- How our obesogenic environment makes getting fat easy
- The wrong way that most people approach dieting
- Why the best diet, bar none, is the one you can stick to
- Why yo-yo dieting is so bad for you
- The various fad diets out there, and why what makes them popular is mostly baloney
- The most important element of any diet plan
- Exercise’s role in keeping weight off (it doesn’t have anything to do with calorie burn)
- Why some type of diet constraint is probably necessary for most people
- Why you should take some breaks when dieting
- How dieting affects your athletic/fitness pursuits
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- Diet and Nutrition Advice From the Doctor of Gains
- Everything You Need to Know About Diet and Fat Loss
- The Real Science of Nutrition and Supplements
- Sniffing your partner’s farts could help ward off disease
- The Pros and Cons of Intermittent Fasting
- What Is An Obesogenic Environment?
- Why Carbs Don’t Make You Fat & The Benefits of a High-Carb/Low-Fat Diet
- A Proven System for Building and Breaking Habits
- How to Become a Fat-Burning Beast
- A Primer on Flexible Dieting
- Carnivore diet
- Layne on Mark Bell’s podcast
- The obese man who didn’t eat food for over a year
- How to Gain Weight
- Fat Loss Forever (Layne’s book)
Connect With Layne
Physique Science (Layne’s podcast)
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Recorded on ClearCast.io
Brilliant Earth is the global leader in ethically sourced fine jewelry, and THE destination for creating your own custom engagement ring. From now until Valentine’s Day, you’ll receive a complimentary diamond stud earrings with the purchase an engagement ring. To see terms for this special offer and to shop all of Brilliant Earth’s selections, just go to BrilliantEarth.com/manliness.
Indochino. Every man needs at least one great suit in their closet. Indochino offers custom, made-to-measure suits for department store prices. Use code “manliness” at checkout to get a premium suit for just $359. Plus, shipping is free.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #475: How to Lose Weight, and Keep It Off Forever appeared first on The Art of Manliness.