To move forward in life, we typically focus on finding answers. But my guest today argues we should spend more time asking questions. His name is Warren Berger, and he’s a self-described “questionologist” and the author of The Book of Beautiful Questions: The Powerful Questions That Will Help You Decide, Create, Connect, and Lead. We begin our conversation discussing why having an inquisitive mindset is more important than ever in this fast changing, uncertain world of ours, but why people are afraid to ask questions. Warren then argues that questions don’t necessarily need to have answers to be useful and explains what he thinks makes a question a “beautiful question.” Warren then talks through the importance of asking questions when you’re trying to make decisions, be creative, form relationships, and lead people, while providing concrete examples of questions to ask yourself and others to be more effective in each domain.
- How can asking more and better questions improve our life?
- The value of an open and curious mind
- What holds people back from asking questions?
- Why knowing more should actually lead to questioning more
- Are there such things as stupid questions?
- What makes for a beautiful question?
- Using questions to make better decisions
- How questions can change our perspective and framing of problems
- Why we give better advice to our friends than ourselves
- How asking questions can boost your creativity
- What adults can learn from kids about creativity
- How questions bolster relationships
- Can good questions build bridges across political divides?
- Why leaders need to ask more questions
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- How and Why to Become a Lifelong Learner
- The Power of Wonder
- A More Beautiful Question by Warren Berger
- How to Wrestle With a Difficult Decision
- Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
- Asking the Right and Wrong Questions by Dan Ariely
- How to Achieve Creative Success
- How to Ask Great Questions Like da Vinci
- Arthur Aron’s 36 questions
- How to Ask Better Questions on a First Date
- My interview with Tim Ferriss
Connect With Warren
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Recorded on ClearCast.io
Blinkist. Got a lot of books on your “to-read list,” but not enough time to read them all? Check out Blinkist. The provide 15-minute summaries of thousands of non-fiction books. Get a FREE 7-day trial by signing up at blinkist.com/manliness.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #465: The Powerful Questions That Will Help You Decide, Create, Connect, and Lead appeared first on The Art of Manliness.