“Warrior” is a word that gets thrown around a lot. There are road warriors, and social justice warriors, and ninja warriors. But what does it really mean to be a warrior?
My guest today sets out a working definition in his book The Warrior’s Manifesto. His name is Daniel Modell, and he earned his Master’s Degree in philosophy before going on to serve for twenty years in the New York City Police Department.
Daniel and I begin our conversation discussing what makes a warrior and the lessons Spartacus can teach us on that score. Daniel and I then discuss why warriors do what they do, why violence is sometimes necessary for peace, and what it means to be savage without becoming savage. We then discuss how bureaucracy kills leadership and why you don’t need a title to be a leader. At the end of our conversation, Daniel talks about why it isn’t just members of the military and law enforcement who need to understand the way of the warrior, but ordinary civilians as well.
- How Danny turned a Masters in Philosophy into a career as a police officer
- How Danny’s philosophy background informed his police work
- What makes a warrior? What are the defining characteristics?
- How Spartacus is the embodiment of what it means to be a warrior
- What are the ideals that a warrior fights for? How do you decide what’s worth fighting for?
- What the Persian War can teach us about a warrior’s why
- The dichotomy between leaders and bureaucrats
- Don’t you need to play within the system sometimes though?
- What is the central riddle of the warrior?
- Why violence doesn’t beget violence
- How to be savage without becoming a savage
- Why should even civilians understand what it means to be a warrior?
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- When Violence Is the Answer
- Why You Need a Philosophical Survival Kit
- The Spartan Way series
- Manvotional: Spartacus to the Gladiators
- Persian War
- The Worth of War
- The Master Virtue: Practical Wisdom
- How Harry Truman Handled Being Out of His Depth
- The Warrior Ethos, With Steven Pressfield
- The 4 Archetypes of Mature Masculine: The Warrior
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
The Art of Manliness Store. Check out our newest items, our legendary mugs, and all our ebook offerings. Take an additional 10% off by using “AOMPODCAST” at checkout.
The Great Courses Plus. Better yourself this year by learning new things. I’m doing that by watching and listening to The Great Courses Plus. Get a free trial by visiting thegreatcoursesplus.com/manliness.
Read the Transcript