In the 1980s, when people signed up for a martial art, they probably joined a karate or taekwondo school. Today? They’re probably signing up for a roll on the mat in a Brazilian jiu-jitsu class. And the Gracie family has played a central role in this martial art’s precipitous rise. My guest today is a member of the Gracie family, the head instructor of the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy, and the co-creator of Gracie University, an online jiu-jitsu program. His name is Rener Gracie, and you may have seen the videos we made with him on our YouTube Channel a few years ago.
Today, Rener walks us through the origins of Brazilian jiu-jitsu, beginning with his grandfather Helio, and how a martial art born in Japan ended up being reshaped in Brazil. He then shares how his father helped develop the UFC as a way to promote the efficacy of Brazilian jiu-jitsu, but why there’s a big difference between sport BJJ and self-defense BJJ, and why BJJ is such an effective real world martial art. We end by talking about the mindset shift that occurs when you learn how to defend yourself, and how the confidence you gain from learning jiu-jitsu carries over into other aspects of life.
- The Gracie family and the origins of jiu-jitsu and UFC
- What separates Brazilian jiu-jitsu from other martial arts
- Is BJJ more for sport or self-defense?
- How learning violence can actually make you kinder
- Why you should do all you can to avoid real-world fights
- The dangers of overreacting (and those people prone to do so)
- How the benefits of BJJ carry over into other areas of your life
- How BJJ has changed Vince Vaughn’s life
- What a typical BJJ class looks like
- Why BJJ is perfect for men who are smaller and perhaps weaker to begin with
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- Our jiu-jitsu videos with Rener
- Helio Gracie
- My interview with Matthew Polly about the life of Bruce Lee
- Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC)
- UFC 1
- You Have to Be a Man, Before You Can Be a Gentleman
- When Violence Is the Answer
- Developing Real-World Situational Awareness
- Where to Hit Someone to Inflict the Most Damage
- The Legal Consequences of Self-Defense
- Gracie BullyProof
- Why Every Man Should Be Strong
- Quikflip Apparel
Connect With Rener and the Gracie Academy
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
The Strenuous Life. The Strenuous Life is a platform for those who wish to revolt against our age of ease, comfort, and existential weightlessness. It is a base of operations for those who are dissatisfied with the status quo and want to connect with the real world through the acquisition of skills that increase their sense of autonomy and mastery. Sign up for email updates, and be the first to know when the next enrollment opens up in January.
Indochino offers custom, made-to-measure suits at an affordable price. They’re offering any premium suit for just $379. That’s up to 50% off. To claim your discount go to Indochino.com and enter discount code “MANLINESS” at checkout. Plus, shipping is free.
One Fix. With the One Fix app, a nutritionist will analyze your meals and find one thing that’s causing your body to store extra fat, and give you a fix. Go to getonefix.com, enter code “manliness,” and get $50 off your first month.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #446: How Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Will Make You a Better Man appeared first on The Art of Manliness.