Procrastination can be a big stumbling block to our success in life. If you’re a student and you put off studying to the last minute, you might not do as well on a test. If you wait to start saving for retirement until you’re in your 40s, you lose out on the power of compound interest.
We know that we need to do certain things sooner, rather than later, but we don’t. Why?
My guest today is Dr. Piers Steel, and in his work and his book, The Procrastination Equation, he’s distilled all the research out there on procrastination into a kind of formula that explains why we put things off. Piers explains why his approach to procrastination is different from that taken by many psychologists, and what they often get wrong about its root causes. He then digs into the different components of why we procrastinate, as well as actionable advice on how you can mitigate these issues and start getting more stuff done.
- Defining procrastination
- The problems with assigning psychological causes to procrastination
- The real reasons people put things off
- How procrastination really affects your life
- The 3 elements of the “procrastination equation”
- The ways that expectations (of both reward and consequence) play into our procrastination
- Can you ever fully beat procrastination?
- So, how do we go about mitigating procrastination?
- Why you actually want your tasks to be a bit challenging
- What if you have a genetic predisposition to procrastination?
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- How to Finally Beat Procrastination
- Overcoming the Resistance by Turning Pro
- Self-Efficacy and the Art of Doing Things
- How to Forge True Self-Confidence
- Self-Discipline and Effectiveness
- 10 Overlooked Truths About Taking Action
- Work When You Work; Play When You Play
- SMART goals
- The Power of Habit
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Indochino offers custom, made-to-measure suits at an affordable price. They’re offering any premium suit for just $379. That’s up to 50% off. To claim your discount go to Indochino.com and enter discount code “MANLINESS” at checkout. Plus, shipping is free.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #444: How to Use the Procrastination Equation to Start Getting Things Done appeared first on The Art of Manliness.