Do you feel like you’re putting your nose to the grindstone and working longer and longer hours, but not getting anywhere with your career? My guest today makes the case that if you want to be a top performer and advance in your job, you need to start working smarter instead of harder.
- Morten’s principle of “do less, then obsess”
- How to obsess about the right things
- Using value metrics vs internal metrics
- How do converse with your boss about taking things off your plate?
- How to manage up, and how to say no to your boss
- The perfect amount of hours in a week to work to perform your best
- Why a great career and a fulfilling personal life aren’t mutually exclusive
- How top performers continue to learn on the job
- The role of passion vs. meaning in your career
- Why collaboration isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, and the case for working alone more often
- Why niceness isn’t a formula for success in collaborating
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- Great By Choice by Jim Collins and Morten Hansen
- AoM’s series on Covey’s 7 Habits
- What Every Man Should Know About Focus
- My interview with Cal Newport about the idea of deep work
- My interview with Chris Bailey about hyperfocus
- How to Beat Distraction and Stay Focused
- The Kaizen Way to Self-Improvement: Get 1% Better Each Day
- My interview with Anders Ericsson about his book Peak
- Why “Follow Your Passion” is Terrible Advice
Connect With Morten
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
ZipRecruiter. Find the best job candidates by posting your job on over 100+ of the top job recruitment sites with just a click at ZipRecruiter. Get your first posting free by visiting ZipRecruiter.com/manliness.
Saxx Underwear. Everything you didn’t know you needed in a pair of underwear. Get $5 off plus FREE shipping on your first purchase when you use the code “AOM” at checkout.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #441: Do Less, Work Better, and Achieve More appeared first on The Art of Manliness.