If you found yourself in a situation with a violent attacker, would you know what to do? While it’s easy to think you’d instinctively make the right decision, the truth is, if you haven’t been formulating and practicing a plan ahead of time, you’ll likely make the wrong, and possibly deadly, choice.
My guest today has spent over two decades teaching people how to deal with threats, and even more importantly, how to avoid them in the first place. His name is Dr. Gav Schneider and he’s an expert in personal risk management and security and the author of Can I See your Hands: A Guide To Situational Awareness, Personal Risk Management, Resilience and Security. Today on the show, Gav shares the biggest mistake people make when it comes to their personal safety and why understanding that criminals have an advantage is foundational in keeping you and your family safe. He then walks us through how to develop situational awareness so that we can avoid problems before they occur, why it’s important to have multiple plans of action for when an attack happens, and why realistic training is crucial in being ready to defend yourself.
- The biggest mistake people make when it comes to their personal security
- Why do people have so much denial about bad things happening?
- Understanding the mindset of a criminal
- How much time you really need to spend on your personal security
- Applying the Pareto principle to protecting yourself
- Presilience vs resilience
- How violence actually manifests in real life
- The first step to establishing situational awareness in any situation
- What should you look for when out and about to become aware?
- How to avoid panicking in a life-threatening situation
- Mastering the OODA Loop
- The difference between sport fighting and fighting for your life
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- Are You a Sheep or a Sheepdog?
- How to Develop the Situational Awareness of Jason Bourne
- 10 Tests and Games to Hone Your Situational Awareness
- When Violence IS the Answer
- My interview with Patrick Van Horne about situational awareness
- Turning Yourself Into a Human Weapon
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu video series
- Pareto principle
- Daniel Kahneman
- A Guide to the Warrior Color Code
- How to Treat Your Family Like VIPs
- What to Do in an Active Shooter Situation
- How to Master the OODA Loop
- How to Deal With Aggressive People
- 2011 Norway attacks
- The legal consequences of defending yourself
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Saxx Underwear. Everything you didn’t know you needed in a pair of underwear. Get $5 off plus FREE shipping on your first purchase when you use the code “AOM” at checkout.
Starbucks Doubleshot. The refrigerated, energy coffee drink to get you from point A to point done. Available in six delicious flavors. Find it at your local convenience store.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #438: Developing Real-World Situational Awareness appeared first on The Art of Manliness.